What I Ate Wednesday 6/3/15: Back To Reality

Good morning and Happy Wednesday! First of all, I find it utterly unacceptable that it is already June. I know that’s what everybody says, but holy shit, time flies! On Monday, I started back at work after my vacation, which was honestly kind of nice. I had a wonderful trip, but I missed my coworkers and my job (say what?) and it’s somewhat comforting to get back into the swing of things. I also feel like I made some substantial recovery progress while I was away, and I’m excited to bring that growth back with me. Now that I’m back to real life, I’m linking up with Jenn and Meghan to share a day’s worth of food with you!

While I was on vacation, I started putting peanut butter in my oatmeal, a habit that has continued since I returned. Yesterday’s bowl contained oats, a spoonful of peanut butter, whipped egg whites, a banana, and a few blueberries. It was all kinds of perfect.


A ways into my shift at work, I was hungry for a snack and I needed some caffeination, so I toasted up a homemade cranberry banana muffin and ate it with my morning cup of coffee.


When lunch rolled around, I was ready to dive into my tuna sandwich, which I enjoyed with some Taro chips that I bought in the Minneapolis airport. I also had some carrot sticks and a bit of homemade hummus., as well as a container of Chobani mango greek yogurt, which is one of my favorite flavors. Unfortunately, this particular container was a bit older than one would prefer and tasted somewhat like metal. Live and learn, I suppose.


A while after lunch, I was feeling the need for another small cup of coffee, and I had a bit of a sweet tooth. I drank my second cup of coffee alongside a partially melted peanut butter Lindor Truffle, which was delicious even though it looked rather unappealing.


I ended up staying late at work to learn about some additional graphics assistant tasks that I am going to be taking on, and I had plans to meet up with work friends at the downtown farmer’s market afterward. On the way, I stopped at the grocery store for a sparkling water and some baby carrots, which I ate with the second half of this packet of peanut butter that I had conveniently stowed in my purse for a rainy day.


The farmer’s market was cold, wet, and dreary, so I didn’t end up staying too long. After some time spent walking through the market with friends, I headed home to start making dinner. I needed a couple of things from the grocery store and I only live a few blocks away, so I hopped down there to pick up the necessary ingredients. For dinner, I made a pasta bake with rotini pasta, a little ground beef, squash, mushrooms, homemade tomato sauce, cottage cheese, and mozzarella cheese. It was sort of a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of dinner, but it turned out pretty tasty. I also sautéed some green beans with garlic and ate a salad with balsamic vinaigrette on the side.


When I was finished with dinner, I went for a short walk around the neighborhood in the post-rain calm of the evening and did a little yoga. Afterward, I was a bit peckish and I decided that I wanted a bit of dessert to enjoy while I began writing this post. I had a little bowl of blueberries with some dark chocolate and white chocolate chips, alongside a child-sized glass of white wine, which is something that should probably be an oxymoron.


After I finished writing the majority of this post, I felt like I needed a little time to just relax. It had been a pretty non-stop day, so I gave myself a few minutes to stretch, watch some TV, and unwind. Before bed, I was hungry again and I knew that I had a doctor’s appointment in the morning that required fasting beforehand, so I made sure to have a snack before bed to avoid waking up absolutely ravenous. I ate my usual snack of peanut butter on toast with another handful of blueberries and a few raisins and called it a night.


It is still hard for me to believe that I am in this place in recovery, where a trip away from home does not mean a week of starvation and returning home does not necessarily mean returning to a world of only ‘safe’ foods and disordered behaviors. I am gradually learning to take charge of my recovery, to not let it be something that stops or starts at any time, but that continues and grows each day. I felt some immense growth while on vacation, and I wholly believe that the growth will only continue from this point forward.

That’s it for this Wednesday – I hope you are able to push through the mid-week slump and enjoy the rest of your day!


16 thoughts on “What I Ate Wednesday 6/3/15: Back To Reality

  1. I just tried those Rainbow carrots for the first time last week and I’m totally in love! I know they’re not that different from normal baby carrots but I just love the color!

  2. I didn’t know there was a peanut butter flavoured Lindor truffle – must try! Lovely foodie photos again 🙂

  3. You must enjoy your job a lot to feel happy to be back! It’s always nice to normalize after being away for some time! Your dinner sounds AMAZING. I know you sporadically put it together, but I’d love a recipe. It sounds absolutely delicious. Hope the doctor’s appointment goes alright!

    • I LOVE my job! It’s so much fun 🙂 The recipe for my dinner was pretty simple. I made the tomato sauce with half a can of tomato paste, a can of diced tomatoes, a bunch of garlic and fresh basil, and a bit of balsamic vinegar. First I sautéed the garlic and basil In olive oil, then added the rest of the ingredients and let it simmer for about an hour. Meanwhile, I cooked some ground beef and added sliced mushrooms and squash to the pan after the meat was browned to cook them down a bit. While the vegetables and meat cooked, I cooked 12 ounces of rotini pasta according to the package directions. When the pasta was finished, I added the beef, vegetables, and tomato sauce and stirred in about a cup of cottage cheese and a few ounces of cream cheese. Then I just put it all in a 9 by 13 baking dish, topped it with sliced tomatoes and mozzarella, and baked it at 375 for about 20 minutes!

  4. I have only seen colored carrots in 2lb bags at Trader Joe’s whole and not cut up. Even though they taste the same I always think they are fun to eat. Glad your appointment went well. Happy Wednesday Erin!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s